Have you recently finished school, or thinking about leaving and unsure where to start when it comes to finding a job? We have compiled our top tips when taking the big leap into the next stage of your life!
1. UPDATE YOUR RESUME
It’s important to make sure your resume is up to date, so potential employers can contact you and have all the relevent information they need. This includes:
All contact information is correct
- Your references are up to date, and their contact details are correct (and it’s always best to ask your references if they are happy to be contacted by potential employers)
- Update your skills with any courses, volunteering or qualifications you have completed
- Keep your resume relevent to the position you are applying for. This may mean you need to tailor it for each job you apply for.
2. SIGN UP FOR JOB ALERTS
You can keep up to date on the latest jobs advertised by Central Coast Group Training by registering for our job alerts.
- Click here to register
- Complete your details
- You’re on the list!
- Central Coast Group Training will reguarly e-mail our current jobs, so make sure you add us to your ‘safe senders’ list or check your Junk Mail just in case!
3. DO YOUR RESEARCH
Not sure what industry you want to get into? Here are some top tips so you get the advantage!
- If you’re able to, try and volunteer or gain work experience in the industry while you look for a job. It gives you an idea of what working in the field is like, and also shows a good work ethic to potential employers.
- Ask for advice! Chat to your careers advisor, an employment provider, families & friends, or a training provider on the different opportunities and ideas.
- Be open-minded and look at the big picture – seet what kind of career a path can lead to as there are more than you think!
- Check out some handy resources, such as the Apprentice Employment Network NSW & ACT or Smart & Skilled
4. DRESS FOR SUCCESS
Different jobs mean different uniforms and dress codes, but when it comes to the interview – what should you wear?
- Have a ‘go-to’ interview outfit handy. Having it ready to go means you’ll be prepared for any interviews you get at short notice.
- It doesn’t have to be designer – we aren’t interested in if you’re wearing the latest trends! What we look for is that you’re clean, tidy and well-presented.
- No idea what to wear? You can’t go wrong with a clean pair of pants (not jeans…), tidy shoes (leave the thongs and slides for the beach), and a blouse/button up shirt. Sometimes keeping it simple is the key!
5. PREPARATION IS KEY
After you’ve applied for jobs, next comes the waiting game to see if you’ve got an interview – here’s how to make the most of that time!
- Practice some mock interviews – find a friend or family member to ask some interview questions to help you build confidence and practice giving answers on the spot.
- Research the company – find out what they do, their company values, where they’re based. You can even check them out on LinkedIn, their website or other social channels.
- Learn about YOU! You’ll likely be asked about your strengths and weaknesses, and scenarios where you have displayed certain skills. Have a think about what these may be and how those skills would apply to the position you’ve applied for.